Applications are accepted each year for Fall admission. Applicants should submit a complete application via the Slate application portal by January 1. All applications received by January 1 are considered for full-funding (stipend, tuition remission). Applications received after January 1 and before January 31 will not be considered for funding.
The following items must be uploaded to your online application:
- Resume or CV
- Statement of Objectives and Interests. Please be sure your personal statement answers the following questions (1–5 pages):
- What are your intellectual objectives and how will your proposed plan of graduate study relate to them?
- Within English studies, are there areas of special interest to you? Please explain.
- How will the resources at the University of Delaware (faculty and otherwise) help you to achieve your objectives and pursue you areas of interest?
- [Note: because special scholarships may be available for members of historically underrepresented groups in the humanities, including African and Asian-American students, first-generation college students, students with disabilities, and former members of the military, we encourage applicants who may be eligible for these awards to signal their eligibility in their statement.]
- Unofficial Transcripts from All College/Universities Attended
- GRE Test Scores (We do not require the GRE English Literature Subject Exam)
- TOEFL/IELTS Requirements
- Three Letters of Recommendation. Be sure letters of recommendation are submitted by your faculty advisors prior to the January 1 deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Critical Writing Sample (10–20 pages)
- Applicants must have earned a BA or MA degree before matriculation in Fall
- Please note we are a straight-to-PhD program that does not accept applications for a terminal MA degree. Our PhD students have the opportunity to earn the MA degree on their way to the PhD.
- The application fee is $75. View information regarding fees and possible fee waivers here
- Students must accept the offer of admission no later than April 15
- All incoming students are subject to a criminal background check as per UD policy 4-111