Random Acts of Poetry
"The only time that I know I'm extraordinary, Is when I write." – Amelia Harmon
Sigma Tau Delta and the Department of English invite UD students and the Newark community to submit short works of poetry, prose, and flash fiction. Selected works will be displayed on posters around campus and Newark next semester.
These Random Acts of Poetry create opportunities to encounter the beauty of literature in unexpected places and make poetry part of our everyday experience.
In Spring 2016, a special event celebrating Random Acts of Poetry will be held to honor our RAP poets and their works.
We invite authors to submit up to three short creative works via email by 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 31st.
- RAP welcomes poetry, prose poems, and flash fiction.
- An author may submit up to three pieces of work.
- Word count may vary, but individual pieces should contain no more than 40 vertical lines (including spaces between stanzas).
- All submissions should be sent to via email as attachments, preferably Word or PDF documents.
- Please include your contact information and identify yourself as a UD student or Newark resident in your email message.
- Please do not include your name or other identification in your submitted work.
- The entries will be judged in a blind review.
Note: We are happy to read all submissions, but works selected for RAP will be "published" in a variety of locations: shop windows, bulletin boards, and service counters of local businesses as well as dorms, student centers, classroom buildings, and campus bulletin boards. Not all readers will be adults and not all content is suitable for every venue: for example, a restaurant will not accept a poem about regurgitation for display in its front window. If your work is aimed at a specific audience rather than the general public, please consider submitting to Caesura or Main Street Journal.